Saturday, February 25, 2012

Grow Green Onions In Water!

Alright everyone. Let me begin this with sharing that we are going to have a happy healthy homestead in the future! I am learning tips, and tricks left and right. I am having a Martha Stewart kind of week. I just learned that you can cut the ends off of your green onions about 1 or 2 inches above the roots. Place them in water, and put in a window and they will grow 1 to 2 inches a day. The more sun, the faster they will grow. You do need to add water as they drink it up quite quick, or just give it all new water every couple of days.  I did read somewhere to change out the water everyday(I am assuming because of the onion smell). So do what you have time for. Me- I am anxiously watching mine. I cut them yesterday, and they are already sprouting up. So I have planty time for them. I am just so excited to learn things like this. We will never need to buy green onions again. The more we collect- I will just move them to a larger jar, and get all different sizes going so we have a constant supply of them. You just chop it as you need it. Brilliant right?! I hate to waste. We do not have a compost. So the more we can regrow effortlessly, and keep out of the trash can- The happier I am. You can do the exact same thing with chives too! Also note- Once they are fully grown or if you grew too many- place them in a small container with soil to keep your harvest going.
Now get growing Martha! Ask me if you have any questions. eHow Home is a good resource for this project- here. Have fun!





2 comments :

  1. I am SO going to try this out! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since doing this we havn't bought green onions in over a month!

      Delete