Thursday, November 3, 2011

Adventure to Mount St. Helens


 Yesterday we drove to Mount St. Helens. Named after a British diplomat Lord St Helens, a friend of explorer George Vancouver who made a survey of the area in the late 18th century. The Klickitat tribe called it Louwala-Clough, and the Sahaptin called the mountain Loowit. You should look up how the tribes gave Helens her name. It was a battle for a lady! Wiki it(very interesting, and educational). Before May 1980 Helens was asleep for 123 years. She is the newest of the major Cascade volcanoes.
I had a BLAST(get it?) on this road trip, which wasn't very far at all. I couldn't believe how sunny and perfect the weather was minus the 60 mph wind gusts we were getting in the vacuum between cliffs. It was the craziest wind I have ever experienced. I was laughing till I almost cried. I love how prehistoric things looked. I feel like we were on the moon, or dinosours should have been walking around. I think that is what I am made to believe the earth looked like 160 million years ago. Speaking of dinosaurs, we saw 2 bald eagles! I didn't have the right camera lense to capture them. But we stopped and watched them till we couldn't see them anymore. We also saw dragonflies! I thought they would have migrated already. There were thousands in the wetlands around the Mount St. Helens Visitor Center. I would have been satisfied to have just stayed there and bird watched all day, so the rest of the sights were just a cherry on top!
We also stopped by the largest totem pole(from a single tree) in the world. It is a 700 year old western red cedar that stands at 140 ft tall on the port of Kalama, Washington. It was erected in 1974, and carved by native American artist and craftsman, the late Chief Don Lelooska in the early 1960's. It can be seen for miles. There are four totem poles there featuring mythical forms, symbols, and creatures of Pacific Northwest Native American culture.
This is our adventure!















No comments :

Post a Comment