Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My Small Business..

The latest update is my wing man and I are sick.. I am convinced my harsh cold came from the stress I was feeling a week ago from my shop! Out of nowhere I was completely out of tote bags. I had already made an order the week before- but I had orders I needed done asap. 7 days passed, and the bags still weren't here. Then 8 days.. on the 9th day I was looking for local places I could drive out to before work to pick them up- But it would have cost me quite a bit... No profit from sales- but my stress would be gone. That I am willing to pay anything for! I guess that might be a sign that I am not a good small business manager with the goal of profits. I really do my best to get orders out, and make sure everyone is happy... But man.. I was left feeling like I did something wrong. I thought I ordered the bags with plenty of extra time- 9 days is unreal for a package. It finally showed up while I was at work- by the time I left work- I was delirious. I couldn't handle the simplest of tasks. I didn't know what was wrong with me. I ran home- thinking it might be that I just can't get my mind off of all of the orders I have to do. Only to wake up in the morning with cold & flu symptoms. I have been working my butt off all week non stop- day job to printing and shipping night and day. Which does not help me get better. I had plans this weekend which got cancelled because of all of this. The funny part is I am the only person I work with that is a religious organic eater. I preach organic- as if it were a religion to anyone who will listen, and I am getting teased at work. I always say I have a superior immune system. I am not entirely full of toxins like other people.. Now I am the "sick organic girl"! Ugh if only I could brag about my shop and all of the extra money and stress I have now. : P

Today's inspiration is the store Terrain! They are located near Philadelphia, and extremely dreamy. I love the photography captured by Parker Fitzgerald. Terrain carries anything home & garden to jewelry and accessories. They also host special events in their restored antique greenhouse, lodge, and terrace, and since we are winding down our summer and everyone is looking for that last summer getaway- Check out their "Campfire Checklist" - here. I hope I spread some inspiration your way, and I apologize as usual for the irregular posts. My last trip- We stayed in a cabin next to the river where we laid out in the sun and relaxed (wonderful)- I forgot my memory card at home! otherwise I would have documented the adventure for you.. : / I can't seem to win lately.





4 comments :

  1. Thanks for the kind words and advice Sherika! I do not plan to juggle both job for THAT long. The money is helping me get to my goal, and once I get there- I am set for just the online shop, and possible local pop up shops. The future is exciting though! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, every day is a learning process when it comes to business, my friend. Maybe next time, you need to improve on your inventory process and provide excess bags to avoid the unwanted stock loss. =) Anyway, did you really drive miles to get the bags you ordered? If so, then it’s okay. It might have deducted your profit, but I’m sure you will regain it with proper customer service.

    Erik Alloway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running your own business is not an easy thing. Why don’t you consider getting a business partner? I hope you’ll find the time to look after your business so that it will keep on prospering. Anyway, take care of your health too.

    -Clint Shaff

    ReplyDelete